...The story of a girl in London, England


5.30.2010

Day 32: Being a Londoner

Today was the second adventure in Portobello Road, and heavens to Betsy, did I get WET! It was only drizzling when we left, but by the time I'd made it halfway to the booth with the one pound scarves it was really coming down. Unfortunately the brelly I purchased my first week here was utterly useless, and broke the second time I used it. (Though I had attempted once or twice to carry it at the top when it was raining so it wouldn't collapse, I gave that up quickly, and stopped bringing it altogether). So, I was quite forced to buy another. I hopped into a tourist shop and bought a cheap union jack brelly at the front for three pounds, and headed back into the pouring rain.
Italic
I am convinced that Portobello Road actually contains magical properties. Yes, I may be biased or brain washed because of Bed Knobs and Broom Sticks, but I tell you, no matter WHAT you are looking for... no matter HOW specific... you can always find it there.

I've been looking for plain gold earrings since about the second week here. No designs, no paint, so intricate holes... Just plain, solid, gold, teardrop shaped earrings. And heck if I could find them anywhere! We looked everywhere! Every day Rob would say, "today we're going to find your earings moo!" And every day our plans were frustrated. And then, I took a second trip to Portobello Road...

Well, I'm sure you can guess what happened. Just like my vintage leather side satchel, there they were, all of a sudden... the PERFECT earrings... just waiting for me to stumble upon them. And they were only 3 pounds!!

That's twice now that Portobello Road has fulfilled my little girl dreams!... how I will miss it when I'm gone!

On the way out I grabbed falafal for lunch... and my goodness, that was the BEST falafal I've had yet. Roasted eggplant, and hummus, and olives... MMM! So good.

Only trouble was, I had lost my dear friends Robyn and Rachel... and I didn't exactly know where the National Theatre was--which was where we needed to be in half an hour. So, I chewed on my falafal, and stopped some nice looking coppers to ask for directions... they whipped out their maps, and just as they sat debating whether I should go to embankment or some other station, Rob and Chach appeared! And all was well.

We had a backstage tour of the place, and it was excellent fun... even though we were a little on the late side, and sort of winded. Walking through the scene shops and prop shops and backstage areas made me think of home. It made me think of all the hours I spent rehearsing, and playing, and working, and laughing, and sweating in other theatres... It made me miss the stage.

I was able to grab a quick drink of water before the matinee, which was a very good thing, seeing as how I was totally parched. They don't believe in drinking fountains here. So it can be tricky business, staying hydrated. But, se la vi. (How on earth do you spell that anyway?) ...

The matinee of London Assurance was delightful. And it certainly helped that Miriam had cadbury caramels shoved in her bag to share... mmmmm... I don't know why all their chocolate is better than ours, but it isn't fair. And I shan't ever want to eat chocolate again, in the states. Even cadbury. Because it isn't the same.

One of the members of the cast played Roland in a Knights Tale, and one of the leading ladies played Aunt Petunia in Harry Potter. And she was DANG funny. Everything she did made you laugh... She could sit and do nothing, and you would laugh. Believe me. Miriam and I... we laughed. A lot.

After the show, Rob and I walked the streets near Embankment and Charring Cross station... feeling quite at home. We stopped off at Cranberry's, to get a few sweets--yogurt covered coconut, dried mango, and chocolate covered nuts... We watched people. We talked. We wandered up and down, enjoying the foggy day in London Towne, and as we sauntered slowly in our leather jackets, I felt like a Londoner.

It was a good feeling. Just... living.

We stumbled upon a place called the Somerset House, and knew it must be famous, but couldn't think why... There was a bride with a wedding party, getting ready to leave in an old red minicooper, covered in white streamers...

We stumbled upon a man in a dress...

We didn't QUITE stumble upon an open bar for dinner, as Lauren (Rob's sister) and her friend took us there. And for once, I didn't worry about how to order or whether I looked silly or out of place. We sat on the couches and ate a good meal. I watched people live their lives, talk to their friends, drink their beer... and wondered what they would do with their life...

And then I went home, and got in bed at 10:00.

Being a Londoner is exhausting. ;) Believe me. I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment