...The story of a girl in London, England


5.29.2010

Day 31: Afternoon Tea and Tinkerbell

Today Robyn and I got up bright and early... (ahem, 10:00.... )... and headed to Primark! I don't know that I've discussed Primark much, if at all, but here's a quick recap: Primark=English Walmart, (only... lower priced, better quality, and no food or electronics... just clothes).

Primark just so happens to be the best place in London if you're a poor college student with a very limited wardrobe and a relatively limited residency. The stuff is cheap and cute, and if you don't love it, you don't have to feel badly about tossing it when you come home... (and this is helpful seeing as how your luggage can't be over 50 pounds, or whatever the weight requirement is).

However, there is one downside to this glorious store. It is in a state of absolute CHAOS whenever you go. And if you go on the weekend, well, then you're really in for it. The store actually looks as though it's being looted. (And to be honest, I'm sure it is being looted. I can't imagine that there aren't at least a few items that walk out of the doors unpaid for). At any rate, it took a little longer than originally anticipated. And this sad fact, combined with our HUGE underestimation of the size of Hyde Park, we were rather late for our afternooon tea!

Yes, afternoon tea. What a lovely thing that is! I believe that this is one thing that the English have absolutely right, and the Americans have absolutely wrong. Sitting down at two or three with a good cup of tea, jam and biscuits, finger sandwiches, and eclairs is quite possible the BEST thing you could ever do with your time at that particular hour. You are able to take a moment to BREATHE, just at the busiest time of day... And then begin again, more refreshed.

Yes, afternoon tea at the Orangerie was a huge success. We girls were absolutely giddy, all dressed up and straight backed and pinky extended. It was rather reminiscent of my 5th birthday party, which was, indeed, the best birthday party of all time. I had a princess dress, played croquet, and had tea and crumpets with all my little girl friends. What could honestly be better? I ordered fresh mint leaf tea, which was absolutely delicious. And just at our table there was cinnamon, orange, rosehip and hibiscus tea to boot! (Which, of course, I took the liberty of sampling).

Unfortunately we looked rather ridiculous, counting out our change at the end, and failing miserably because noone seems quite able to master the coinage in this silly town. There are just too many sizes and shapes and numbers to keep track of. But we were successful... eventually. And managed to escape relatively unscathed by the glares of high nosed Englishmen and women. ;)

There was a ten or eleven year old boy sitting next to me on the tube all decked out in his football garb, (soccer, in the states), and it made me miss home. Especially my darling brothers... who I beleive deserve a shout out!... Zander, you're my favorite little stud in the world! Dexter, I can't wait to come home and give you a hug! Riley, I wish you could be here to play in the castles with me! ... I love you all!!!

Anyway, I suppose another reason I might be thinking of you is because I saw Peter Pan tonight. (Not the real Peter Pan, but the show Peter Pan)... It was absolutely phenominal. I mean, WOW. One of the best shows I've seen in London.

It was over at the Barbican Center, and the space in and of itself was fantastic. The theatre is very modern, and gorgeous in its own way... and it lent itself to the fantasy and imagination of the piece. I could have simply sat and looked at the set, it was so beautiful. And the LIGHTING! ... (sigh)... All those reds and greens and blues and purples... It was really just a beautiful piece of art on the stage. And there was one underwater scene that absolutely took my breath away, because it was so PRETTY, and so real...

But it was also a very intriguing interpretation. It was set in Scotland, with traditional Scotish music, and history woven in. Hook even wore a black kilt! (I admit I'm a sucker for anything
Scotish... I mean the accents alone pretty much killed me...) But the whole thing had this dimension of ... reality. It was uncanny. And it was not just a happy little disney fairytale. Which I very much appreciated.

Tink was an actual ball of fire that they somehow tossed around the stage. And people appeared in beds, where there were only sheets before. And later, when we asked how these illusions were performed, they wouldn't tell us! (Apparently they'd been sworn to secrecy!)

Well, at any rate, I loved it. And I think I shall be very disappointed if I ever see Peter Pan again without Kilts, Bagpipes, and gruff Scotish "R's"...! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment