...The story of a girl in London, England


5.30.2010

Day 33: There is somebody I'm longing to see...

I hope that he turns out to be
someone who'll watch over me... I'm a little lamb who's lost in the wood.
I know I could always be good To one who'll watch over me...

This song was stuck in my head all morning... I kept humming it, and singing little snatches... but I couldn't remember any of the words! Or the actual tune, for that matter. It was just floating around on my lips, in my mind, driving me mad, because I knew I loved it! If I could only remember the darn thing! I just couldn't put my finger on the song.

I woke up around 7:30 and began working on my talk for sacrament meeting. I've never given a 10 to 15 minute talk before today, and I was a little on the nervous side. But did you know that the church website has absolutely amazing resources for that sort of thing? All you have to do is click on the "prepare a talk" tab, and you're golden! Anyway, I worked on that, and hummed little pieces of the song I couldn't remember.

"da da da da da da, doo doo, da da... "


I ate breakfast-- some cereal and toast with jam-- and continued singing:
"da da da da da da, doo doo, da da... "

I went back to my talk... and hummed some more.

"da da da da da da, doo doo, da da... "

I jumped in the shower... and tried to think of another song I actually knew, but I just kept going back to that same tune.

***

On the tube I read through some old journal entries, from just before I left for London. It was interesting to see how I've grown. Small things, mostly. I'm not afraid of airports anymore. And I've come to appreciate life back home... the every day, in and out, boring, same old same old, life. This town is so busy, so full of things to do, you wear yourself out just deciding what to do with yourself! And it will be so nice to know how to cross the street again.

The Victoria line was quick today, so Miriam and I got off at Walthamstow Station and to the chapel with plenty of time to put a musical number together. (Ha. Yeah). A lot of good that extra week did us! We decided to sing, "There is Sunshine in My Soul Today". Happy, upbeat, and easy! Miriam sang soprano, and I sang soprano, alto, and tenor... (though not all at once). Miraculously, it came together. Thanks in great part to Debbie's excellent piano skills. THANK YOU Debbie. ;)

The talk went very well, actually... And afterward our adorable Bishop told me he was very impressed. And that my talk had shown great maturity, and that he was touched by what I had said. (Hooray! ...It is always good to get a hand shake and a heartfelt thank you). And the song went just swimmingly as well...

Primary, on the otherhand, was a little bit of a mess...

Today I realized that every time I thought my parents were being "mean", they were really just doing me a favor. So, thank you mom and dad! Thank you for yelling every now and then, and saying "no"... because, my GOODNESS... some of those kids need to learn how to take "no" for an answer!

... "No, Sean! You may not hit Holly!"
... "No, Merchant! You may not put chalk on your face!"
... "No, John! You may not eat your scriptures!"
... "No, Tiko! You may not run around the room screaming about how you hate the song Book of Mormon Stories!"
... "No!!!..."

Luckily I got to hide behind the piano and play Do as I'm Doing... over and over again... as Adam bawled, and Tiko yelled, and the poor primary president tried to keep the rest singing.

Yes, well... we have our off weeks....

I was the impromptu substitute for the 8-11 year olds sunday school class. You see, their teacher Esmerelda failed to mention that she was getting married... and that she wouldn't be around to teach anymore...

I entertained the idea of created a lesson on the spot, and thought better of it... and instead, we invited Merchant, Tiko, Nathan, Jemma, Jade, and Christina to ask whatever questions they had, about anything they liked.

Well, for fourty five minutes, we sat and talked with those nine and ten year olds about life... music, America, school, food, and any number of other things. And for the first time, Nathan became involved and animated in class... we talked with him about Harry Potter, and movies, and he just lit up all over. Jemma, who usually sat quietly in the corner, became excited over Taylor Swift, and other artists. Jade explained the school system in the UK, (which confused us to no end), and we described the things we'd done in high school, and college. For the first time, I felt as though they wanted to be friends. As though we were getting somewhere! And it was the best 45 minutes I've spent in that ward.

To end the class, we sat on the floor and played telephone. (Only here they call it Chinese Whispers). And we laughed ourselves silly, and had a grand old time. And I'm sure that will be one of my favorite memories from these last few weeks... playing with my Primary kids... and being their friend.

... The steps of Saint Pauls Cathedral are always covered with people... sitting, enjoying the weather, or just having a rest. And as we walked up them, we smiled triumphantly, knowing we were right on time to see the Evensong. ...

We sat down and listened to the organ, sounding ominous and strange in the high vaulted ceilings, and watched the funny little man direct the onlookers. He had dark black hair, and a thin pointy face. His lips pursed in a mousish manner, and he stepped on his toes, as though he were stepping on very small stones. He'd hop, from one place to another, shh-ing, and smiling, and blinking his eyes. And every now and then he'd stand very still, and importantly, and nod his head as though he knew something nobody else could ever know.

The organ faded, and we stirred in our seats expectantly, as the arms on the clock hit 5:00pm. But much to our surprise, the people surrounding us began to stand and exit slowly... and then we heard the usher say that was the end of the organ concert, and Mass would be at 6:00. Well... oops.

Turns out Evensong is at 5:00 on WEEKDAYS, but 3:00 on weekends. And so, we sat and stayed for Mass.

Saint Pauls has a surprisingly small amount of stained glass. It's mostly stone and light and space. The far end has lots of gold and green and purple and red--all colors of the liturgical calendar. And there is a beautiful, sprawling, black and white checkered tile floor. Th huge dome above you reveals a small dome above IT, and the sun sends a sharp ray of light through just one window at a time, leaving a streak across the emptyness above you. And the mosaics shimmer and dance as the light catches on the edges of each tiny tile. There are chandaliers, and trees outside the windows, and individually carved flowers on the high ceiling, and round all the high, sloping walls...

And during Mass, smoke pours out of a bowl on a metal pillar, adding a haze to the air, like gauze on your eyes...

It was an interesting experience, to be sure. We stood, and sat, and stood again. And listened to the words of the priest in cream and pink robes. And at one point, when we were invited to "give a sign of peace" to our neighbors, we turned and gave hugs and handshakes all around.

After Mass, we headed home. But not before walking past the London Eye, and the Thames, and across the bridge. ... I couldn't help it! It was oh, such a glorious day! Such a fabulously blue and sunny day! And the Thames was so lovely, and the sky was so pretty, and the breeze was so soft... the only flaw was all the tourists, who were, unfortunately, everywhere.

I used a pay to pee at Gloucester, because everyone else was too chicken, and we wanted to try it, at least once!

And then I ate some dinner, (for once!)... and I don't think I've ever been so full on a Sunday here.

***

I finally found the words to the song, and the tune, for that matter, (with the help of Annalee). We figured I'd heard it first on the movie Fame, and somehow, it just stuck in my head all these months, and finally resurfaced this fine Sunday morning. Of course, you'll never guess who sang it first... Ella Fitzgerald. :) I'm so predictable.

But I want all of you to know that I do miss you dearly. This has been a wonderful, amazing adventure... But it just isn't the same without you. And I can't wait to come home.

There is somebody I'm longing to see...
I hope that he turns out to be
Someone who'll watch over me...

No comments:

Post a Comment