...The story of a girl in London, England


5.17.2010

Day 20: I'll admit it, I'm getting spoiled.

Today I went to class. And after class, I went to one of the museums just down the street! The Victoria and Albert Museum. Better known as the V&A. There was a stained glass window collection, and old silver, and statues, and paintings and photos... and a huge display of gems and jewels that completely blew my mind. Why is it that we're so drawn to sparkly things? ...

They even had a section on theatre, with old costumes... most of them worn by relatively famous individuluals. And we got to dress up in some of them too! We had a hay day with that one... after all, you're never too old for dress up. How do I get so lucky? ... I spent the afternoon playing dress up in a museum!

We ate Italian Panini's on the steps, and just soaked in the London air. (Which is actually quite polluted, but, it's London! So who even cares?) ...

And then we were off to Camden market so that Robyn could find herself a leather jacket. What can I say? I'm a trend setter. ;) I was carrying around my big red complete works of Shakespeare book, and one of the vendors asked about it. I said, "Oh, it's just Shakespeare"... and he asked, "which one?"... "well, all of them," was my response. He was pretty impressed by that. And we got to talking about how brilliant that good old playwright was, and he ended up giving me a huge discount, just because I was reading Shakespeare. Thank you Bill!

You know Camden Market is sort of sketchy. I think I probably mentioned this early, but I mean, it's a REALLY wierd part of town. Sometimes you see these super gothic couples in London, and you wonder where on earth they find each other-- what with their black trench coats covered in spikes and crazy purple hair and giant boots and inch thick makeup and gaged earrings. ... Well, after much speculation, I've concluded that they all meet at Camden Market. It's got to be the number one Gothic couple breeding ground in the world. Or at least in Europe. ... Seriously.

But that really just adds to the experience. You say "no thanks" to the tattoo parlor guys, and just avoid eye contact with the body piercing guys... and enjoy yourself! Perusing the merchandise and haggling the price. Not to mention going in cirlces round the food vendors, getting just as many samples of fried chicken as you can handle.

We got on the wrong train, unfortunately. Which honestly NEVER happens anymore, so that was sort of a shock.

But we didn't have any trouble getting back home. The tube is a beautiful thing.

I made Robyn and Rachel go with me to My Old Dutch... (that pancake house around the corner). They were a little skeptical about the whole idea. But I was determined to eat there for dinner, come hell or high water. It was 5 Pound monday! Any pancake for only five pounds! ... There was no way I was missing out on that. And I really really really wanted the pancake with the peaches and cream. YUM. I'll never be able to eat pancakes in the states again! I'm ruined! Absolutely ruined.

I think tis rather a pity that we have homework here. For some reason, when I imagined coming on this study abroad, the school part always got overlooked. Unfortunately, if I overlook it NOW, I get a headache. And an F.

It's so hard to justify doing my homework, when there are so many much more interesting things to do with my time. But, don't worry... I still keep caught up. (Relatively speaking). Though I must admit I'm not nearly as diligent as I am in real life, back at home. ;) Shh... Don't tell Roger and Lance.

(Who am I kidding?? They already know!)

At any rate, I'm becoming absolutely SPOILED. I have multiple market places just minutes away, museums down the street, a park out my front door, food like you wouldn't believe, very little homework, excellent theatre, and friends to share it with!

How will I ever come back home?? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment