...The story of a girl in London, England


5.01.2010

Day 4: Getting Even Wetter.

I woke up groggily this morning to the sound of Ashley stirring beneath me on the bottom bunk. "What time is it?" I yawned. She looked at the clock, and moaned "it's ten". GAH! I was supposed to be downstairs and ready to go! I wasn't expecting to sleep so late... (ahem, Cameron.) Luckily Lance and Roger (our professors) had a little unplanned detour, (they got on the wrong train), so they were just as late as the rest of us.


no parking. :) good thing we can't drive cars.

We went on a walking tour along the Thames. We walked across the New London Bridge, which I admit was a little anticlimactic, because old London Bridge is in Arizona, and the new one is quite a bore. Who knew? Anyway, we walked the streets, and made our way to the Borough Market, which Robyn and I absolutely fell in love with!

There was this adorable old Baker fellow with a thick English accent. As we all sampled his DELICIOUS breads, he asked "don't they make any unattractive American girls?"

Favorite person in London? Yes.


We got lunch at the market- Malaysian chicken curry and Thai seafood something with rice. YUM. I will definitely be visiting the Borough Market again while we're here. There are all kinds of fresh foods, vegetables, fruits, meats, breads... and great places to eat for cheap. The market was so busy, and alive, and full of character. Just like the rest of this gorgeous city, I suppose.

After all this, it was time to see Macbeth at the Globe Theatre. Yes. The Globe.

We were groundlings, which means you stand in the yard (the ground at the front of the stage) and have your head at stage level. Only for THIS particular play, there was a massive black cloth with holes cut out, through which the groundlings stuck their heads. We got front and center, and let me tell you, I make a good disembodied head. ;) see, we were supposed to represent the depths of hell... and I'd say we did a rather good job of it.


The play was amazing. Bloody, emotional, Scottish... it was... well, it was Macbeth! But really though, they did a fantastic job, and the concept was certainly engaging. Right before the show started, the theatre became a house of horrors of sorts, the three witches running beneath the black cloth and scaring people, bagpipes and diggery-doos mourning in the background, and blood covered bodies writhing in agony on the stage. Yes, well... it sounds rather awful, doesn't it? Absolute artistic brilliance, darling. Take my word for it.

Of course, the last 20 minutes of the play, it began to rain. I mean REALLY rain. And then it turned to hail, and we got absolutely completely drenched and pelted all at the same time. And of course, Macduff took hold of this golden opportunity as he said his last lines... "hail! hail! hail!"... the audience loved it, and I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at the end of that particular play.

Honestly, the day could not have gotten any better. I was standing in the pouring rain, in the globe theatre, watching a stunning performance of Macbeth, in London, England.

I lead a rich, fantasy life. ........ Really.

(Even if I do catch pneumonia.)

No comments:

Post a Comment