...The story of a girl in London, England


5.26.2010

Day 29: I just want to be ok...

Sometimes you have to take a moment to breathe in and out, very slowly, ten times.

It might be because of a deadline at work, a particularly naughty child, a stupid driver, or even a slight miscommunication. But whatever it is, you have to remember... patience, like any other good quality, is generally demonstrated in times of difficulty, rather than in times of ease.

***

Yesterday I was telling Cameron that I could walk around in a man's T-shirt, with a belt and tights, and be totally fashionable. I don't know that he actually believed me. But when I got on the tube this morning, there she was... standing just a few feet away, a girl dressed in a man's large blue and green striped polo shirt and tights. Case and point. (I'm not kidding).

We walked out of the station, towards the Unicorn Theatre to see The Tempest. We went as a group, right after class, because the theatre would only allow us to enter as a group. And as we walked down the street, I noticed a guy standing around on the sidewalk with his friend, smoking. As our huge group began walking by, he quite accidentally dropped his cigarette. He stooped rather awkwardly to pick it up, and as he rose, I heard him say, "that is a very long line of beautiful girls." Haha. Poor guy. ;)

The Tempest
was an experience, to be sure. Our group of 40 college students was surrounded by junior high kids, all laughing and screaming uproariously as lightning struck and the ship wrecked in the first five minutes of the show. I looked around and noticed I was not alone in my staring... are all 12 year old children this... noisy? Or just the ones in the UK? ... I hope for my sake that it is a Europeon trend. ;)

Anyway, they settled down eventually. And the show was just lovely. The set alone was magnificent... it looked as though part of a ship wrecked boat had been plopped onto the stage. And the acting was good as well. Ariel was especially intriguing... he stood as though he were crushed or deformed-- and no one in the group could recreate his odd stance.

Now, Shakespeare's well and good... (and I know that I'll be blaspheming as I say this)... but his Tempest was nothing compared to who I saw later that evening!

You'll never guess... I nearly had a fit of convulsions due to excitement when we purchased our tickets the day before... .... and who was it?...

INGRID MICHAELSON!!!

Now, if you don't know who Ingrid Michaelson is....
1). Shame on you!
2). Find her on the youtube immediately. As in... now.
3). Ok, but really... stop reading this, and open another tab...
4). Let me help you! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJOzdLwvTHA

Anyway, it was absolutely AMAZING. Seriously. She is amazing.

And she reminded me of me in the studio. (Mom, you're probably the only one that will appreciate that statement). But really. There weren't any whale noises, but there was certainly random beat boxing (spelling??), punny jokes, and random stream of consciousness rambling. It made me SO HAPPY. She was so hilarious, and human, and sincere. And I think that she must be a very fun person to jam with.

We were also in the VERY FRONT ROW. I kid you not. We stood there, leaning against the gate in front of the stage, and chatted with the photographers. We struck up a particularly entertaining conversation with a larger, older man, who was rather experienced, and happy to talk. We talked about his family, and his kids, and his job, and his life... and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I am learning again and again that it is the PEOPLE you meet, not the places you go, that really matter.

***

I suppose you're curious as to why I said that bit about patience at the beginning...

Yes, well, I shan't be telling you! (haha)

Sometimes the lesson learned is more important than the frustration experienced. So just rest assured that everything worked out, and I am all the wiser because of it.

In the wise words of Ingrid Michaelson, "I just want to be ok, be ok, be ok... I just want to be ok today."

1 comment:

  1. SHAMAE!!!! I am so jealous! I love her music. I hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete