...The story of a girl in London, England


5.23.2010

Day 26: It's too darn hot!

This day has been scorching. Absolutely, completely, TOO DARN HOT!

I mean, I'm not going to complain. It mean warm, sunny days in Scotland and Ireland. But honestly, I'm sweating like there's no tomorrow and all the windows are open! I thought England was supposed to be COLD, for pete's sake!

Primary was CA-RA-ZY. Absolutely nutso.

I don't even know what to say, except that Tiko causes more problems than any child I've ever met, and he's got to be the biggest terror in all of England. He made a boy two years older than himself bawl like a baby today. And what's worse! It was only minutes after he'd been brought back from his mother...

Ah well. At least I could sort of play the piano today. And sharing time went really well! Rachel and I planned it this morning before we left for church, (and I was a little worried it wouldn't come together). But, that was silly of me. I mean, what child doesn't like to open up a present? Even if there are only strips of paper with things relating to the Holy Ghost inside. :)

I was roped somehow into singing with the choir today... it was a song I'd never heard in my life, AND I was the only one singing Alto. But, you know, when there's only three choir members to begin with, I suppose that does make a difference after all.

Next week is going to be the Shamae Budd show. I'll be giving a ten to fifteen minute talk in sacrament meeting AND a musical number. We'll see how that one goes, eh? ;)

Anyway, everyone was pretty much a zombie today. We all got in late from our various travel destinations, and we all walked around for four days with backpacks we were living out of pulling at our shoulders. Not to mention waking up in the wee little hours of the mornin'. Good grief, I could hardly stay awake on the tube coming home.

But, all's well. I'm hotter than hades, but I'm sitting on a pillow with a laptop and an apple. I'm a happy camper.

***

And now it's time for the second installation of....

A Guide to The Englishman's English

If you think you're in line, you're really in the "Queue".

High School is "College", and college is "University".

"Trousers" are pants... And "Pants" are underwear.

"Jumpers" are jackets. And a "Jacket" (oddly enough) is in fact a baked potato.

If you have 5 "quid", you have 5 pounds.

"Twice zero" means double O.

And "half six" means 6:30.

"Reduce Speed Now" means slow.

And you park your car in the "Car Park". So don't ask for a parking lot, they don't have them here.

If you're a "Ginger" girl, you're a red head.

And the inttermission of a play is called the "Interval".

"Cutlery" is silverware. They're never called utensils.

And if you cut your finger, use a "Plaster"... (That's a bandaid at home).

The "Hobb" is the stove.

The "Boot" is the trunk.

And if someone wants to "Snog", say NO.

"Diversion" means detour.

A "Lead" is a leash.

And your "Brelly" comes in handy when it rains.

A "Reduction" is a discount.

And your "Fringe" is your bangs. (But we won't talk about what "Bang" means).

The "Tube" is the subway.

(But don't get confused, because the "Subway" does exist). Now listen. The "Tube" is the subway. The "Subway" is an underground footpath. And a "Footpath" is the sidewalk.

... Get it?...Got it? ... Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment