...The story of a girl in London, England


4.29.2010

Day 2: A Few Firsts


Today, for the first time, I woke up in London, England. I slept for ten glorious hours... from 10pm to 8am. (3pm to 1am Utah time). But it didn't exactly relieve my poor brain from the fog that's filled it the last 2 days. I got in the shower, and tried to wash my hair with soap. NOT shampoo. It appears the adjustment is going to take a couple more days... I'm still tired as can be.

Today, for the first time, I went to class around the corner, in the Hyde Park church building. We had a great discussion about the arts, and I was reminded again of an idea discussed in my World Religions class: Anekentavida. There are many ways to see the world, and often, there is no RIGHT answer. People have different eyes, so naturally they see things differently than you.


Today, for the first time, I rode the Metro. We had a few mishaps... including, but not limited to: Robyn getting on the train just as the doors closed, and whizzing away without us; getting on the wrong train, (more than once); and getting caught in the saloon style doors that let you into the station when you slide your card (oops).



Today, for the first time, I saw Big Ben, and Picadilly square, and the Thames, and Westminster Abbey. My feet hurt. But holy cow, it was fun. Robyn, Rachel, and I got lots of adorable pictures, and had a good time wandering the streets of London. I love those girls.

Today, for the first time, someone asked me for directions. I felt pretty cool, I'm not going to lie. Because that means somebody thought, "hey, she looks like she knows what she's doing. I bet she's local".... Too bad I wasn't much help! ;)


Today, for the first time, I had FISH & CHIPS! Just around the corner at the Goat Tavern, where you order at the bar, and sit in big comfy chairs. It was cozy and dim and definitely british.

Oh! I nearly forgot! Today I also went without a wallet. I seem to have... uh... misplaced it indefinitely. (AKA, I've cancelled my credit cards, I'm totally broke, my parents are sending a new BYU ID, a new debit card will be mailed to me by next week, I don't have a temple recommend anymore, I lost my tube pass, AND about 80# cash, in addition to my card for health insurance, and I'm sort of winging it, and crossing my fingers). WOHOO! :) Hopefully I've got my tragedy for the trip out of the way.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are having a blast. I wish I could be there :) And your pictures are amazing. Is the first picture of the place you are staying? It looks way nice. Oh and I am so jealous of the fish and chips you had. They looked so good! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that building is indeed our flat. :) and I thihnk I found your digestive biscuits. ;) took some searching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!!! I love those things :)

    ReplyDelete